[x11] Re: build.sh chokes on module x11proto: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not `AC_CONFIG_HEADER'

John Klingler john at jupiter.com
Wed Mar 21 23:04:45 PDT 2007

Dear Alex,

I have updated all tools and am compiling more or less successfully.
(Mea culpa, I should have done this more thoroughly at the onset.)
Thank you for your assistance. Mind you, having started with versions
of tools older than required, I had to delete so many files and
directories that it would have made better sense to delete everything
and start over.

Additionally, short of building the entire tree, which I did not want
to do, the dependencies have been excruciating. One after another I
have had to check out another module and recompile. I thought the whole
intent of modularization was to decouple X from the old single tree
approach. In this respect it is somewhat lacking.

I adapted ./utils/modular/build.sh to be selective so I don't have to
rebuild things which have built successfully. (I'm working from an SVN
repository. I had a look at adapting jhbuild for SVN but it looked like
too much work. Still, something like that for checked out trees would
be nice.

I am now adding my own modules and even with the documentation, which
is, in the UNIX tradition, woefully inadequate, (Please don't direct
me to the New Module Guidelines, which I have read, thank you.) I have
copied over the scripts from existing modules and am adapting them for
mine. However, much like writing Imakefiles in the old system, it is
still initially largely a process of reverse engineering.

The problem is that those who implemented the modular approach, seem
unable to put themselves in the place of those new to what they have
implemented. Many of those folks are more or less household names
(albeit a rather recondite household). New users come in all levels of
expertise. I have been porting X to custom hardware platforms for 15 years
I don't think I should be having such difficulties.

I will document my endeavors. Perhaps they will be of some use to others.
In the meantime, if you have any other helpful pointers I would appreciate
hearing them.

Best regards,

John