xf86-drivers-video-intel: How to use MergedFB sweetness on 965GM

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 18:25:38 PDT 2007

On 6/28/07, JM Ibanez <jm at orangeandbronze.com> wrote:
> "Martin Langhoff" <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> writes:
>     3. Hook up external monitor. In a terminal, type:
>
>        $ xrandr --output VGA --left-of LVDS --auto

Tested - had to add the Virtual line and works great. With my card,
8192x8192 dies with a "not enough memory" error. So I went for a more
conservative value of 3580x1050 that is the max pixels I can get my
hands on right now ;-)

One question though - it prefers the VGA monitor for the gnome desktop
stuff, modal windows, etc. I'd rather keep the "main" monitor set to
the LVDS on the laptop.

xrandr's manual doesnt' talk about that, and I'm not sure how those
hints are passed to the wm or even what the right term I should be
googling for ;-)

/me begs for more hints...

>        which should put the external monitor left of your laptop panel,
>        and set it to the preferred monitor mode. You can also do:

Talking of which... that "preferred" term confused me a bit (in the
man page too). If I understand correcly, it's about the preferred mode
in terms of resolution, not the preferred monitor ;-)

cheers