xf86-drivers-video-intel: How to use MergedFB sweetness on 965GM

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 04:16:36 PDT 2007

On 6/28/07, JM Ibanez <jm at orangeandbronze.com> wrote:
> The quick HOWTO:

Thanks!

>     1. Make sure you're running the XRandR 1.2-capable Intel driver. To
>        confirm, in a terminal type
>
>        $ xrandr --version
>
>        which should reply
>
>        Server reports RandR version 1.2

Got the latest stuff from gutsy (next ubuntu rel). Restarted X.org to
very blurry fonts. "fixed up" the package src disabling the scaling,
rebuilt, install, I can read again :-)

>     2. Try booting without xorg.conf -- should work. If not, add in the
>        details necessary for local display only (as well as input
>        devices, of course). No other config necessary
>        (e.g. MergeFB/Xinerama/etc).

Well - that didn't *quite* work. It keeps trying to load the i810
driver and the driver barfs saying something about not being able to
use fb.

If you want I can repro to post the logs - xorg keeps only 1 old log
(or is that the ubuntu init scripts?) so it ate the interesting log.

I tried _removing_ the i810 driver, and it died saying that it had
detected a card that matched i810 and it now couldn't find the driver.
So the autodetect driver magic is probably in core, and confused about
the 965GM.

>     3. Hook up external monitor. In a terminal, type:

That part looks great. Will play w it soon.