Intel driver EDID not probing proper resolutions over HDMI

Shawn Bohrer shawn.bohrer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 20:10:09 PDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 01:27:07PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> >    (II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-1 is connected to pipe none
>
> Right, the server decided to enable the VGA-2 output instead, and
> doesn't have enough pipes to also connect the TMDS-1 output.
>
> Play with xrandr and see if you can't get the HDMI output working; you
> can add modes and switch stuff around in many useful ways.

OK using xrandr was indeed quick and easy.  I added a Modeline to my
xorg.conf then used xrandr to disable VGA-2 and enable TMDS-1 and
magically I had 1080p over HDMI.

> > Yeah, actually I forgot it had this, and I was wondering what the heck
> > VGA-2 was.  This may be a stupid question, but how do I disable it?
>
> Again, xorg.conf(5) documents how to do xorg.conf-based configuration.
> Note that testing with xrandr is going to be a lot faster...

Well I have no problem having to RTFM, but I'm not seeing how to do this
in xorg.conf(5) or the i810 manual.  It looked like this was previously
done with the MonitorLayout option, but I believe this ignored with the
new randr stuff.

Thanks,
Shawn