Intel driver EDID not probing proper resolutions over HDMI

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 21 22:34:30 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 22:10 -0500, Shawn Bohrer wrote:

> Well I have no problem having to RTFM, but I'm not seeing how to do this
> in xorg.conf(5) or the i810 manual.  It looked like this was previously
> done with the MonitorLayout option, but I believe this ignored with the
> new randr stuff.

The new stuff is all in the xorg.conf(5) manual in the MONITOR SECTION.
But, it doesn't look like this part of the manual was included with the
1.3 version of the server.

MONITOR SECTION
       The  config file may have multiple Monitor sections.  There should nor-
       mally be at least one, for the monitor being used, but a  default  con-
       figuration will be created when one isn't specified.

       Monitor sections have the following format:

           Section "Monitor"
               Identifier "name"
               entries
           EndSection

       The  only mandatory entry in a Monitor section is the Identifier entry.

       The Identifier entry specifies the unique name for this  monitor.   The
       Monitor section may be used to provide information about the specifica-
       tions of the monitor, monitor-specific Options, and  information  about
       the video modes to use with the monitor.

       With  RandR  1.2-enabled  drivers, monitor sections may be tied to spe-
       cific outputs of the video card.  Using the name of the output  defined
       by the video driver plus the identifier of a monitor section, one asso-
       ciates a monitor section with an output by  adding  an  option  to  the
       Device section in the following format:

       Option "Monitor-outputname" "monitorsection"

       (for example, Option "Monitor-VGA" "VGA monitor" for a VGA output)

       In  the absence of specific association of monitor sections to outputs,
       if a monitor section is present the server will associate  it  with  an
       output  to  preserve  compatibility for previous single-head configura-
       tions.

       Specifying video modes is optional because the server will use the  DDC
       or other information provided by the monitor to automatically configure
       the list of modes available.  When modes are  specified  explicitly  in
       the  Monitor  section (with the Modes, ModeLine, or UseModes keywords),
       built-in modes with the same names are not  included.   Built-in  modes
       with different names are, however, still implicitly included, when they
       meet the requirements of the monitor.

       The entries that may be used in Monitor sections are described below.

       VendorName  "vendor"
              This optional entry specifies the monitor's manufacturer.

       ModelName  "model"
              This optional entry specifies the monitor's model.

       HorizSync  horizsync-range
              gives the range(s) of horizontal sync frequencies  supported  by
              the  monitor.   horizsync-range may be a comma separated list of
              either discrete values or ranges of values.  A range  of  values
              is two values separated by a dash.  By default the values are in
              units of kHz.  They may be specified in MHz or Hz if MHz  or  Hz
              is added to the end of the line.  The data given here is used by
              the Xorg server to determine if video modes are within the spec-
              ifications of the monitor.  This information should be available
              in the monitor's handbook.  If this entry is omitted, a  default
              range of 28-33kHz is used.

       VertRefresh  vertrefresh-range
              gives  the range(s) of vertical refresh frequencies supported by
              the monitor.  vertrefresh-range may be a comma separated list of
              either  discrete  values or ranges of values.  A range of values
              is two values separated by a dash.  By default the values are in
              units  of Hz.  They may be specified in MHz or kHz if MHz or kHz
              is added to the end of the line.  The data given here is used by
              the Xorg server to determine if video modes are within the spec-
              ifications of the monitor.  This information should be available
              in  the monitor's handbook.  If this entry is omitted, a default
              range of 43-72Hz is used.

       DisplaySize  width height
              This optional entry gives the width and height, in  millimetres,
              of  the  picture  area of the monitor.  If given this is used to
              calculate the horizontal and vertical pitch (DPI) of the screen.

       Gamma  gamma-value

       Gamma  red-gamma green-gamma blue-gamma
              This  is an optional entry that can be used to specify the gamma
              correction for the monitor.  It may be  specified  as  either  a
              single value or as three separate RGB values.  The values should
              be in the range 0.1 to 10.0, and the default is  1.0.   Not  all
              drivers are capable of using this information.

       UseModes  "modesection-id"
              Include the set of modes listed in the Modes section called mod-
              esection-id.  This makes all of the modes defined in  that  sec-
              tion available for use by this monitor.

       Mode  "name"
              This is an optional multi-line entry that can be used to provide
              definitions for video modes for the monitor.  In most cases this
              isn't  necessary because the built-in set of VESA standard modes
              will be sufficient.  The Mode keyword indicates the start  of  a
              multi-line video mode description.  The mode description is ter-
              minated with the EndMode keyword.  The mode description consists
              of the following entries:

              DotClock  clock
                  is the dot (pixel) clock rate to be used for the mode.

              HTimings  hdisp hsyncstart hsyncend htotal
                  specifies the horizontal timings for the mode.

              VTimings  vdisp vsyncstart vsyncend vtotal
                  specifies the vertical timings for the mode.

              Flags  "flag" ...
                  specifies  an optional set of mode flags, each of which is a
                  separate string in  double  quotes.   "Interlace"  indicates
                  that  the mode is interlaced.  "DoubleScan" indicates a mode
                  where each scanline is doubled.  "+HSync" and  "-HSync"  can
                  be  used  to  select  the  polarity  of  the  HSync  signal.
                  "+VSync" and "-VSync" can be used to select the polarity  of
                  the  VSync  signal.  "Composite" can be used to specify com-
                  posite sync on hardware where this is supported.   Addition-
                  ally, on some hardware, "+CSync" and "-CSync" may be used to
                  select the composite sync polarity.

              HSkew  hskew
                  specifies the number of pixels (towards the  right  edge  of
                  the  screen)  by  which  the  display enable signal is to be
                  skewed.  Not all drivers use this information.  This  option
                  might  become  necessary  to override the default value sup-
                  plied by the server (if  any).   "Roving"  horizontal  lines
                  indicate  this value needs to be increased.  If the last few
                  pixels on a scan line appear on the left of the screen, this
                  value should be decreased.

              VScan  vscan
                  specifies  the  number  of times each scanline is painted on
                  the screen.  Not all drivers use this  information.   Values
                  less  than 1 are treated as 1, which is the default.  Gener-
                  ally, the "DoubleScan" Flag  mentioned  above  doubles  this
                  value.

       ModeLine  "name" mode-description
              This  entry  is a more compact version of the Mode entry, and it
              also can be used to specify video modes for the monitor.   is  a
              single  line  format  for specifying video modes.  In most cases
              this isn't necessary because the built-in set of  VESA  standard
              modes will be sufficient.

              The  mode-description  is  in  four sections, the first three of
              which are mandatory.  The first is the dot (pixel) clock.   This
              is  a single number specifying the pixel clock rate for the mode
              in MHz.  The second section is a list of four numbers specifying
              the  horizontal  timings.   These  numbers are the hdisp, hsync-
              start, hsyncend, and htotal values.  The third section is a list
              of  four numbers specifying the vertical timings.  These numbers
              are the vdisp, vsyncstart, vsyncend,  and  vtotal  values.   The
              final  section  is a list of flags specifying other characteris-
              tics of the mode.  Interlace indicates that the mode  is  inter-
              laced.   DoubleScan indicates a mode where each scanline is dou-
              bled.  +HSync and -HSync can be used to select the  polarity  of
              the  HSync  signal.  +VSync and -VSync can be used to select the
              polarity of the VSync signal.  Composite can be used to  specify
              composite  sync  on hardware where this is supported.  Addition-
              ally, on some hardware, +CSync and -CSync may be used to  select
              the  composite  sync polarity.  The HSkew and VScan options men-
              tioned above in the Modes entry description  can  also  be  used
              here.

       Option "DPMS"  "bool"
              This  option  controls whether the server should enable the DPMS
              extension for power management for this screen.  The default  is
              to enable the extension.

       Option "SyncOnGreen"  "bool"
              This  option  controls  whether  the video card should drive the
              sync signal on the green color pin.  Not all cards support  this
              option,  and  most  monitors  do not require it.  The default is
              off.

       Option "TargetRefresh"  "rate"
              This optional entry specifies the vertical refresh rate that the
              server  should aim for when selecting video modes.  Without this
              option, the default is  to  prefer  modes  with  higher  refresh
              rates.

       Option "PreferredMode"  "string"
              This  optional  entry  specifies a mode to be marked as the pre-
              ferred initial  mode  of  the  monitor.   (RandR  1.2-supporting
              drivers only)

       Option "Position"  "x y"
              This optional entry specifies the position of the monitor within
              the X screen.  (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

       Option "LeftOf"  "monitor"
              This optional entry specifies that the monitor should  be  posi-
              tioned  to  the  left  of the monitor of the given name.  (RandR
              1.2-supporting drivers only)

       Option "RightOf"  "monitor"
              This optional entry specifies that the monitor should  be  posi-
              tioned  to  the  right of the monitor of the given name.  (RandR
              1.2-supporting drivers only)

       Option "Above"  "monitor"
              This optional entry specifies that the monitor should  be  posi-
              tioned above the monitor of the given name.  (RandR 1.2-support-
              ing drivers only)

       Option "Below"  "monitor"
              This optional entry specifies that the monitor should  be  posi-
              tioned below the monitor of the given name.  (RandR 1.2-support-
              ing drivers only)

       Option "Enable"  "bool"
              This optional entry specifies  whether  the  monitor  should  be
              turned  on  at  startup.  By default, the server will attempt to
              enable all connected monitors.   (RandR  1.2-supporting  drivers
              only)

       Option "MinClock"  "frequency"
              This  optional  entry  specifies  the minimum dot clock, in kHz,
              that is supported by the monitor.

       Option "MaxClock"  "frequency"
              This optional entry specifies the maximum  dot  clock,  in  kHz,
              that is supported by the monitor.

       Option "Ignore"  "bool"
              This optional entry specifies that the monitor should be ignored
              entirely, and not reported through RandR.  This is useful if the
              hardware  reports  the  presence  of  outputs  that don't exist.
              (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

       Option "Rotate"  "rotation"
              This optional entry specifies the initial rotation of the  given
              monitor.   Valid  values  for  rotation  are  "normal",  "left",
              "right", and "inverted".  (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

keith.packard at intel.com