Intel driver EDID not probing proper resolutions over HDMI

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 21 13:27:07 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 14:41 -0500, Shawn Bohrer wrote:

> Well, I imagine the HDMI receiver is indeed crummy, but I have been
> using it successfully at 1080p for the last 5 months.  Though I usually
> had to restart X twice to get it to display at 1080p.

I'm wondering if some additional delays during startup would help this.
I can't think of anything else that restarting the server could change.

> Yes I have two DVI ports so I could try going that route though I would
> need a new cable.

Strongly recommended -- DVI to HDMI cables aren't that expensive if you
orer over the net.

> This is something I wasn't clear on.  Is DDC required?

It is a required part of the HDMI spec, so this failure clearly
indicates either a really broken HDMI chip or some miscommunication
between the HDMI SDVO card and the HDMI receiver.

>   Is it possible
> to set a Modeline in my xorg.conf and force it to use that resolution?

Yes, of course. xorg.conf(5) should show you how to configure that.

>    (II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-1 is connected to pipe none

Right, the server decided to enable the VGA-2 output instead, and
doesn't have enough pipes to also connect the TMDS-1 output.

Play with xrandr and see if you can't get the HDMI output working; you
can add modes and switch stuff around in many useful ways.

> Yeah, actually I forgot it had this, and I was wondering what the heck
> VGA-2 was.  This may be a stupid question, but how do I disable it?

Again, xorg.conf(5) documents how to do xorg.conf-based configuration.
Note that testing with xrandr is going to be a lot faster...

keith.packard at intel.com