RandR 1.3 additions?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jul 16 12:44:44 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 15:30 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> In order to have this information in a backwards-compatible form
> (without having to change the protocol), I suggest adding *mandatory*
> output properties with V1.3. At least the specification of the type of
> connector should be mandatory. Then tools like xrandr can easily set a
> mode e.g. to an internal monitor only.

That sounds like a very reasonable idea. I thought briefly of using
standardized output names, but realized that we'd quickly end up in the
XLFD horror where we try to pack a bunch of information into a string.
If you could put together some list of such properties along with their
standard values, I can build suitable infrastructure in the driver stack
to implement them.

> All properties that are mandatory have to be standardized, of course.
> I haven't completely thought through this, but wanted to know what the
> general feeling about this is.

I don't know what beyond connector type we might need. And, TV outputs
may be confusing as you may have component, composite or s-video
connectors all hooked to the same hardware (as with Intel), and only at
run-time can you tell which connector is actually in use.

keith.packard at intel.com