RandR 1.3 additions?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Jul 16 06:30:16 PDT 2007

On Jul 13, 07 11:32:28 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> So, if you're monitoring the xorg-commit list, you will have seen an
> addition to RandR float by. I think we should consider what stuff should
> be in a 1.3 version of RandR at this point; we have several good
> suggestions:

What bothers me most with current RandR is that you have to guess the
type of plug / signal from the name of the output. We don't have a
output type anywhere, and the names do not seem to be standardized. So
DVI, DVI-I, DVI-D, DVI-1, TMDS, TMDS-1 can all indicate a DVI connection
- and even then you don't know whether it's single link or dual link.

I don't like these educated guesses, and would rather have a real source
of information.

Also, for some display types (or on some cards) there might be meta
information (like: Laptop internal display, left connector, DVI-D
connector, docking station) and additional information (like: DVI:
single/dual link) that might be useful to the user. Though this kind of
information is certainly more problematic to standardize.

In order to have this information in a backwards-compatible form
(without having to change the protocol), I suggest adding *mandatory*
output properties with V1.3. At least the specification of the type of
connector should be mandatory. Then tools like xrandr can easily set a
mode e.g. to an internal monitor only.

All properties that are mandatory have to be standardized, of course.
I haven't completely thought through this, but wanted to know what the
general feeling about this is.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __