RandR 1.3 additions?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 13 11:32:28 PDT 2007

So, if you're monitoring the xorg-commit list, you will have seen an
addition to RandR float by. I think we should consider what stuff should
be in a 1.3 version of RandR at this point; we have several good
suggestions:

     1. DPMS events. This is what Eric added in his randr-dpms branch.
        This adds an event delivered when an output changes DPMS status,
        allowing applications to detect when the screen is blanked for
        any reason.
     2. Per-output DPMS set/get. Right now, DPMS setting is global.
        Allowing applications to set DPMS levels individually for each
        output would provide some useful functionality.
     3. Panning rectangle. RandR 1.2 drops the old built-in panning
        functionality as you rarely want your extended-mode monitors to
        all follow the mouse around the virtual desktop. If we, instead,
        allowed each crtc to automatically pan within a limited
        rectangle, we would be able to use panning again in a way
        consistent with RandR. The Xinerama information provided to
        applications would then mark the set of panning rectangles
        instead of the set of crtc mode rectangles.

Are there other things we should consider adding to the RandR protocol
at this point?

keith.packard at intel.com