Installing/Distributing Binaries After Modular Build

George McCollister georgem at novatech-llc.com
Tue Jan 16 07:42:17 PST 2007

I'm using build.sh to build the modular source tree. The wiki suggests
setting the prefix to /tmp/modular. What did the author intend to be
done after everything is built? Permanently running X from /tmp/modular
doesn't seem acceptable. If I git the source tree to
/home/georgem/X11R7.1 and build everything under my user, what is the
suggested way of installing everything as root to a normal location?
build.sh seems to create tar balls for each module, but they only
include source. Is there a way to build binary tar balls (or packages)
for each module that can be used to install to a different location or
used on a different system. In my case I'm cross compiling X.org so it
makes sense to build everything as my non-root user then transfer
everything to the target system. Right now I'm just manually copying out
the binaries and placing them at the same locations on the target
/home/georgem/X11R7.1. I'd like to install everything in the proper
locations (/usr). Do I need to use fakeroot or something similar to
trick the build scripts into thinking they are building/install with
prefix /usr when they actually are in /home/georgem/X11R7.1?

It was very easy to do this with the monolithic tree (make install
DESTDIR=<install_target_dir>).

Any tips would be appreciated. It would probably be good to get this
sort of information out on the Wiki.

Thanks,
George McCollister

received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
the original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.