radeon 9000 (rv250) tV-out troubles

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 19:58:02 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 10:17 PM, Charles Hibbits <charles_hibbits at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I realize this has been discussed to some degree, but I may not be understanding the instructions correctly so I apologize for another thread.  I have an Sapphire Radeon 9000 64MB with TV out. Everything was running fine with the patched opensource driver on Ubuntu Feisty (xorg 7.2 I believe). Saturday I upgraded to Gutsy (xorg 7.3) and I lost the tv out.  At first the gnome X configuration tool set it to a VESA driver which produced black and white TV out.  When I use the XORG ATI driver the TV out goes away.
>
> After searching around I found the following commands can be issued to make it work sorta:
>
> # xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
> # xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
> # xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard ntsc
> # xrandr --output S-video --off
> # xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/029292.html
>
> The problem is this is not static, after reboot I loose the TV out again. Also My main usage of this computer is to run mythtv, but the video will not play on the TV, only the monitor.  I assume this has something to do with it not being treated as a primary display or something to that effect.  I assume there is something wrong with my xorg.conf, but I have not been able to find the right options. Here is my xorg.conf:

You can force the TV on with the following options (add to the device
section of your config):
Option "ForceTVOut" "true"
Option "TVStandard" "ntsc"

As for the overlay, it can only be sourced to one crtc at a time.  In
dualhead mode it follows the video window.  In clone mode you have to
explicitly tell it which crtc to source to.  Use an application like
xvattr to select the crtc for the overlay:
xvattr -a XV_CRTC -v 1

possible values:
-1 auto
0 crtc0