radeon 9000 (rv250) tV-out troubles

Charles Hibbits charles_hibbits at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 19:17:16 PST 2007

I realize this has been discussed to some degree, but I may not be understanding the instructions correctly so I apologize for another thread.  I have an Sapphire Radeon 9000 64MB with TV out. Everything was running fine with the patched opensource driver on Ubuntu Feisty (xorg 7.2 I believe). Saturday I upgraded to Gutsy (xorg 7.3) and I lost the tv out.  At first the gnome X configuration tool set it to a VESA driver which produced black and white TV out.  When I use the XORG ATI driver the TV out goes away.

After searching around I found the following commands can be issued to make it work sorta:

# xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
# xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600
# xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard ntsc
# xrandr --output S-video --off
# xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/029292.html

The problem is this is not static, after reboot I loose the TV out again. Also My main usage of this computer is to run mythtv, but the video will not play on the TV, only the monitor.  I assume this has something to do with it not being treated as a primary display or something to that effect.  I assume there is something wrong with my xorg.conf, but I have not been able to find the right options. Here is my xorg.conf:

# Section "Files"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
# Driver "kbd"
# Option "CoreKeyboard"
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Configured Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "CorePointer"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "stylus"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "stylus"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "eraser"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "eraser"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
# EndSection
#
# Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "cursor"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "cursor"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
# EndSection
#
# Section "Device"
# Identifier "Radeon 9000"
# Driver "ati"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
# Option "MonitorLayout" "AUTO, NONE"
# Option "TVOutput" "NTSC"
# EndSection
#
# Section "Monitor"
# Identifier "Generic Monitor"
# Option "DPMS"
# HorizSync 30-70
# VertRefresh 50-160
# EndSection
#
# Section "Screen"
# Identifier "Default Screen"
# Device "Radeon 9000"
# Monitor "Generic Monitor"
# DefaultDepth 24
# SubSection "Display"
# Modes "800x600" "640x480"
# EndSubSection
# EndSection
#
# Section "ServerLayout"
# Identifier "Default Layout"
# Screen "Default Screen"
# InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
# InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
# # Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
# # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
# # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
# EndSection
#
# Section "extensions"
# Option "Composite" "Enable"