Intel driver problem with TV output

Robert Lowery rglowery at exemail.com.au
Thu Dec 13 00:33:46 PST 2007

> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:15:45 -0500, Richard Goedeken wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am setting up an HTPC using an AOpen MiniPC (GM965 chipset, X3100
>> accelerator) loaded with Fedora 8 and I'm having
>> numerous problems with the video drivers.  The major problem is that I
>> can't get the TV output working.  I have tried
>> with both the current software in the Fedora 8 repository (xorg server
>> 1.3.0.0-33.fc8 and xorg-drv-i810 2.1.1-7.fc8) and
>> the latest in the Fedora 9 (rawhide) repository (xorg server
>> 1.4.99.1-0.10.fc9 and xorg-drv-i810 2.2.0-1.fc9).  I have
>> attached the config and log files from the Fedora 8 setup.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, everything in the log files look good.  Compiz is
>> disabled.  I can even drag windows off the
>> desktop to the right (where the TV screen should be) and can move them
>> totally off the screen, but the TV display is
>> always blank.  I've tried both the composite and component outputs.  I
>> know the electrical path is good because the TV
>> flashes when starting the X server (with the newer drivers).
>>
>> At one point when I was loading and bringing up the new drivers, I had
>> booted in init level 3 (text only) and did a
>> 'telinit 5' to bring up X, and I actually got a cursor on the TV.  But
>> there was only the cursor on the TV (with a small
>> Fedora blue dot animation) and the main CRT monitor was blank, so I
>> couldn't log in.  I restarted the X server and then
>> lost the cursor display on the TV.  I was unable to replicate this
>> condition.
>>
>> Has anyone been successful getting TV output to work on this
>> chipset/hardware?
>>
>> There are other major bugs that I've found as well.  Is there a Bugzilla
>> server where I can log these?  In particular:
>> 1. With the F9 (rawhide) drivers, the monitor goes into power-save mode
>> when switching to a text VT.  Switching back to
>> X gives a blank screen (monitor powers up though), and requires an X
>> restart or reboot to bring the display back.
>> 2. With the F8 drivers, switching to a text VT works fine, but sometimes
>> when switching back to X the screen is blank.
>> After switching back and forth several times the graphical display will
>> appear correctly, without having to restart X.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having the exact same issue on Ubuntu gutsy and hardy with the same
> AOpen Mini PC. Hardy uses the 2.2.0 tag. Which should include those fixes.
> Video comes on during boot on TV if nothing else is connected, but as soon
> as the x drivers init, screen turns of.
>
> According to log, everything seem to have gone allright, and X has been
> started, but as said, there is no output on the SVIDEO/COMPOSITE or
> COMPONENT outputs.
>
> Some friends of mines have been able to get the exact same type of Mini PC
> to display with ubuntu gutsy. I've tried with exact same drivers/xorg.conf
> [...]

Your xorg.conf is much more complex than the one I am using with my AOpen
MP965-DR (see attached)

Note that TV output should be configured using xrandr, not xorg.conf.  You
will see
in your xorg.log
(WW) intel(0): Option "TV Format" is not used
(WW) intel(0): Option "PreferredMode" is not used

instead you should use a command such as
xrandr --output TV --set TV_FORMAT=PAL --auto

For the LVDS ignore issue, it would be worth checking with lspci that the
relevant
id's match the following quirk from i830_quirks.c
{ PCI_CHIP_I965_GM, 0x8086, 0x1999, quirk_ignore_lvds },

HTH

-Rob