Multi X-session setup

JoJo jojo onetwojojo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:44:07 PST 2007

Hi

I stand corrected, that was technically 1 GDM session, with 2 screens,

the way I see it the problem is now this:-

If we run 2 X servers using both GFX, then sharing Keyboard & Mouse is
a problem,
If we run 1 X server on 1 GFX with 2 Screens, then we get only 1 GDM session.

I would suggest to go along with the 2nd option, get only 1 GDM session,

"How would I switch between these two sessions?"
Generally we can setup 2 screens right next to each other,
when mouse goes over the edge it appears on the next screen(keyboard
focus follows the mouse click)

"Are the two screens independent of each other?"
I dunno what you mean by that,
with xinerama enabled the two screens merge seamlessly(one big
desktop, fullscreen application half visible on one screen, half on
the other screen),
with xinerama disabled they act independently(two desktops, fullscreen
applications occupy).

If you still decide to go with 2 X servers, you could hardcode via udev rules,
the exact USB ports(for keyboard mouse, to each seat, yup multiseat)
then to use one seat, you plug in the input marked for that seat,
to use the TV/Projector seat you plugin the inputs marked for the other seat

I believe Two Screens is what you are after, instead of two X servers.

-Jojo