Question/Proposal for multiple X-Servers with multiple Graphic cards and input devices.

Ralf Schneider RG.Schneider at t-online.de
Mon Dec 3 08:41:02 PST 2007

Hello,
currently I'm trying to set up a System as 'RDP' / 'Citrix' Client
Station for 4 Users on one single Computer.

Basically it is easy to configure and run. BUT::

1. My computer has a build in graphic adapter -- which I want to use as
   a Administration console with the ordinary way of running the X
   server on a vt ( e.g. 21 ) and normal text consoles on vt's 1 to 6.
   For that I use the PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors as input
   devices.
2. I've installed 4 more PCI graphic cards and for each grafic card
   additional USB mouse and keybords.

The problem is that all X servers MUST be connected to a vt and vt
switching must be disabled in order to run the X servers. Therefore the
text vt's are not accessable anymore.

( if vt switching is enabled and one switches to one of the text vt's,
ALL X servers are disabled ).

QUESTION / PROPOSAL::
=====================

Why is it ( is it ? ) neccessary to assign a vt to a X server ?

Would it be possible to run one X server in the usual way on
(e.g.) vt 21  WITH vt switching enabled to have access to the
text/framebuffer consoles
AND
simultaniously multiple additional x servers on onther vt without vt
switching so that those users can alwayws work without being interfered
by the 'Admin' user ?

I hope my description is sufficiant to understand by someone else. If
not, please ask back.

Regards

/RalfS