New Pixman Naming Scheme

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Aug 6 22:17:39 PDT 2007

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:08:08 -0700, vehemens wrote:

> It's the renaming of the various library pieces to pixman-1.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that myself either, nor had I seen any
discussion.

I also don't think it's a useful change. I do notice that pixman is
now advertising it's header files as being in their own directory,
which is definitely a good thing. That is, one used to get:

	pkg-config --cflags pixman
	-I/prefix/include

	and presumably the application would do #include <pixman/pixman.h>

Where one now gets:

	pkg-config --cflags pixman-1
	-I/prefix/include/pixman-1

	and presumably the application would do #include <pixman.h>

But I would suggest that what we really want to have is:

	pkg-config --cflags pixman
	-I/prefix/include/pixman

	and the application would do #include <pixman.h>

I definitely don't see any advantage to starting off with a -1 as part
of the name.

Is there some plan to be coming out with some pixman-2 at some point?
Soon?

With the new cairo dependency on this library I'd like to see some
plan in place, (and preferably a plan like cairo's: that is, the API
isn't expected to change in any incompatible way in the foreseeable
future). I should also sit down and do a thorough review of the pixman
API to help with that.

-Carl