New Pixman Naming Scheme

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 7 01:14:49 PDT 2007

Carl Worth wrote:
> Where one now gets:
>
> 	pkg-config --cflags pixman-1
> 	-I/prefix/include/pixman-1
>

> I definitely don't see any advantage to starting off with a -1 as part
> of the name.

Well on the plus side this shouldn't affect the X server or Cairo build
process directly as it's all wrapped by pkg-config.

I can see the point for exposing the API version on the library files as
is uber standard as it means you can have both versions installed at
once with different programs linking against different versions until
all are rebuilt against the newer version.

As for the development files, I don't really see the point in this other
than a make install not clobbering the old stuff. If things are wrapped
up in either individual prefixes or in packages (e.g. RPMS) then this is
not an issue as the devel pgks can conflict provided the actual lib ones
allow dual install.

Personally I don't like this layout but it is all internal to pixman so
it can easily change at any time.

Col