Khronos group, OpenGL ES/miniglx/EGL?

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:25:03 PDT 2007

On 4/18/07, ZeAtShuttle <zelco at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> hi,
>
> anyone knows whats going on with that Khronos group, OpenGL ES and stuff..
> im quite confused as when/why/how did that come to be, but more importantly
> - do we have any use of it on Linux with desktop architectures..
>

> 1.) can OpenGL ES  be used on PC, x86 platform? emulator maybe?
>
> 2.) is OpenGL ES just a specification or are there some drivers for some
> hardware, some ATI mobilty chipsets maybe or whatever GPU so it can be used
> on PC?
>
> 3.) as i understand it now, miniglx was to be replaced with EGL which is
> based on OpenGL ES? both, miniglx and EGL not seem to be active... so, are
> there any other projects going this, minimalist, way?

i suggest you start reading the egl header file from khronos. then get mesa.

then start implementing the functions listed int egl.h. you start with
stubs first. you will have a good understanding of whats needs to be
implemented by then. its either a call into mesa or system calls to
get a surface etc.

maybe you create a test program showing how egl should be used first.
you should also get hardware that mesa/dri actually supports. actually
it does not matter. just get the software rendering working first.
when you have that then start digging into hardware accel.

> thanks,
> zelko
>
> myOS - Linux based OpenGL development system without X
> http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items