Mini-Compiz on Miniature Linux/OpenGL (embedded 3D windowsystem)

ZeAtShuttle zelco at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 17 23:14:40 PDT 2007

hi,

>"They talk about LGPL there, but when i downloaded a few files from.."

yes, thats 2003 article, i gave that link as it explains they proposal back then,
now as much as i have figure it out by reading past post is that they were thinking of LGPL or even have relesed it for some period of time.. but as LGPL would allow companies to take from and not need return to community, it was decided to be GPL for the best interest of all, and as much as i understand these licences - they did the right thing

>" but it seems they don't release any source for the card drivers."

im not sure what you looking for, but i know this - you download source, unpack, type 'make' or whatever and it compiles into some binary files, one of which ogl driver, say 'ogl-driver.drv' its 800kb and its all you need to run OpenGL app, i mean you can delete the whole file system, just leave the driver and app will run!

do you maybe ask if there is possibility that "card driver", as you call it, might be some binary file hiden somewhere in the source and merged to driver file at compile time?

i have no idea, i wouldnt think so, i dont know what card info would they have to hide, they pretty much worked things out from the Mesa and what specs nVidia/ATI provided to accelerate it...

maybe there isnt any 3D hardware acceleration, i just dont know, but hell, looking at the FPS it darn good software one at least, who knows? they mention HW acceleration quite a lot on their web-site, as i understand it works great for DOS, even DirectX, and what i read there, the stuff on Linux should be accelerated to some degree, ive tested it on 5 different cards nVidia/ATI, where some older cards work better than some brand new and with glgears i get from 120 - 450 FPS, i would have been happy with 30

im making a game with this as well "Metal Gear Solid" - like, well above 60 FPS(no textures tho), im amazed what can be done it reminds me of time when OpenGL just becam available for programes, first working 3dfx Voodoo OpenGL (Mesa) drivers... with a little imagination a lot can be done...

cheers,
zeljko

Linux based OpenGL development system without X
http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html