Mini-Compiz on Miniature Linux/OpenGL (embedded 3D window system)

ZeAtShuttle zelco at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 17 20:08:38 PDT 2007

hi,

> I can pretty much assume Scitech is *SOFTWARE* OpenGL, this is no use
> as you've found so you've got something small but quite useless for
> actual real work, so you really haven't got something at all...

huh.. thanks? dont know what to say..
why do you jump to assumption just to say that something sucks?

have a look at this:
http://www.rocklyte.com/athene/index.html

Uses SNAP graphics technology from SciTech Software instead of X11.
a.. Graphics throughput is 17% faster than Microsoft Windows and at least 25% faster than X11.
a.. Fast booting - between 5 and 10 seconds on modern hardware.

hows that for "quite useless for actual real work",  what say you?

i thought effort in that direction would be welcome and that there are some alternatives, but miniglx seem to be abandoned in favor of EGL and EGL doesnt really exist, or what Brian would say -
".. been in limbo for a while"
or
"Mini GLX is a hack.  It filled a specific need when it was created but
I'm not sure it's an appropriate base for large projects."

and i just hoped that EGL effort has moved to yet some other project, so my main question really boils down to:

is there anything better than scitech at this moment?

or

is there an -active- project with a goal of making windowing system with OpenGL as primary graphic API - X built with OpenGL not requirement for it?

i have searched for previous mention of it, and all i figure out is that it miniglx/EGX -> xgl/xegl were supposed to be "base" for it, but has everyone abandoned these projects?

would it not be easier to 'convert' X to OpenGL if it was not requirement to use OpenGL?

would it not be easier to make OpenGL drivers if they were not "bundled" with X, for Open Source as well as for ATI/nVidia?

SciTech did it quite nicely, and I believe they do have solution to "device driver crisis", just like they did once before with VESA..

btw, i couldnt care less for scitech except that im thankful they did OpenGL thing and released it GPL, but did i mention  that these are not just graphic OpenGL-MGL drivers, its a 'technology' - SNAP.. complete i/o, interrupt and other device drivers, ALL you need to build complete OS or app like X.. its really compact, it works and its all Plug'n'Play... (OpenGL driver is single file, 800kb)

how many companies are doing/have done this much for the Open software and improving/unifying graphic standrds, how come no one is using scitech now, why no one even wants to consider to have a look at it?

cheers,
zelko