X11 & Spaceball

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:50:38 PDT 2007

On 4/5/07, Achim Flammenkamp <achim at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Meanwhile I have solved my problem myself.
> Except dozends of non-related emails from this mailing-list, I got
> no responce after being forced to subscribe to be able to post to it.

Well, it is a general xorg mailing list what did you expect to
receive?  Just about everything xorg related is discussed here.

> To be frank, you should document this nasty condition on
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/xorg   inplace of
> Ok, now from the annoying introduction to the technical solution:
>
> 1) spaceorb input modul on x86-64 architecture is broken in X11-7.1.1.

That's very possible.  Without hardware or user feedback there's not
much we can do to verify a driver contributed years ago will continue
to work.

> 2) Realizing
>        Option     "Name" "OEM Spaceball 3003"     in my XConfig-InputSection
> and
>        N: Name="OEM SpaceBall 3003"
> opened my eyes for this typo-error in the "Name" Option.
> And after correcting this, the X11-evdev-modul recognized my spaceball.
>
> Furthermore applying Roland Arsenaultss evdev-spaceball-patch for SpaceTraveler
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/attachments/20070205/85093879/xf86-input-evdev-spaceball.bin
> to my evdev-version 1.1.2 sensefully, let me finally get a working
> x11-driver for my Spaceball 3003 FLX when using glut.
>
> Thanks again to Roland for this usable patch! I emailed Roland and the
> maintainer of evdev yesterday personally and I will soon desubcribed from this
> list, expecting no more comments (or even help).

No offense, but I suspect you and Roland are the only two people on
this list that actually have spaceballs.  That's why no one responded.
 How about taking over maintainership of the driver?

Alex