Xorg 6.9.0 Odd Mouse Wheel Behavior

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sun May 21 09:31:41 PDT 2006

Mark Kane wrote:
> Hi everyone. I've searched lists archives and Google for this problem,
> but I have not come up with much. Most of the posts I see are about
> mouse wheels not working at all after updating to Xorg 6.9.0 on FreeBSD.
> Mine works and scrolls up and down, but there is odd behavior when
> scrolling UP using the wheel.
>
> After updating to 6.9.0, whenever I move the wheel up it does scroll up
> like it's supposed to, however it also acts like a left mouse button is
> being pressed at the same time. It's somewhat hard to explain but here
> is an example:
>
> I'm going through my inbox in Thunderbird and I start scrolling up using
> the wheel to see messages. In addition to going up the list, it's also
> selecting all the emails that my mouse pointer happens to touch when I
> move the wheel up.
>
> Another example:  I'm in Firefox viewing a website. I take my mouse
> pointer and hover over a link or a bookmark on my bookmarks bar. I keep
> the mouse over it and roll the wheel up once. It selects that link or
> button and goes to it as if I had left clicked on it.
>
> I've tried various suggestions from around the net such as playing with
> xmodmap, trying different values in my xorg.conf, restarting the
> machine, etc.
>
> This problem only has started since upgrading to Xorg 6.9.0 via
> portupgrade on FreeBSD. Here is the mouse portion of my xorg.conf that
> has worked for months up until the upgrade:
>
> ----------------
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>         Option "Buttons" "5"
>         Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
> ----------------
>
> ...and an output of xmodmap -pp
>
> ----------------
> There are 9 pointer buttons defined.
>
>     Physical        Button
>      Button          Code
>         1              1
>         2              2
>         3              3
>         4              4
>         5              5
>         6              6
>         7              7
>         8              8
>         9              9
> ----------------
>
> I don't have any moused flags in my rc.conf. My mouse is a Microsoft
> Intellimouse with left button, right button, left side button, right
> side button, and wheel. I have not had to work with xmodmap any in the
> past since it always worked with the "Buttons" and "ZAxisMapping" in
> xorg.conf, so I'm not sure if that 9 button info is correct.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> -Mark
> FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE [amd64]

Just updating the list in case someone searches for this problem.

It turned out to be the USB to PS/2 adapter that I was running.
Something must have changed between the last version and 6.9.0 that
would make that not work anymore, because yesterday I finally had a
chance to reboot and try the mouse directly into the USB port. With it
directly to USB, the described behavior does not happen and everything
is working fine.

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)