One regular account can't login via gdm

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 1 08:05:16 PDT 2006

Sune Mølgaard wrote:

> Not sure if this is the right list, but I'll try.
>
> My own account can login just fine, but my girlfriend's can't.
> .xsession-errors states the following:
>
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/sessreg -a -w
> /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l
> ":0" "michelle"
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Couldn't connect to X server.
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> I notice, that her .Xauthority is empty. Might that be the cause, and
> how do I generate a real one for her?

~/.Xauthority is generated by the display manager (gdm) after a
successful login.

The display manager generates a random authentication key, and writes
it to ~/.Xauthority (where ~ corresponds to the user's home directory
from /etc/passwd) and also to the file specified by the X server's
-auth switch.

Upon connection, Xlib obtains the key from the file specified by
$XAUTHORITY (or $HOME/.Xauthority if that variable is unset) and uses
it to authenticate with the X server.

Ensure that there isn't anything wrong with her /etc/passwd entry, and
that the permissions on her home directory and on ~/.Xauthority are
sane.