One regular account can't login via gdm

Sune Mølgaard sune at molgaard.org
Mon May 1 09:54:44 PDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Ensure that there isn't anything wrong with her /etc/passwd entry, and
> that the permissions on her home directory and on ~/.Xauthority are
> sane.

Thanks for the suggestions. However, her entry in passwd looks fine:

michelle:x:1001:1001:Michelle Bruus,,,:/home/michelle:/bin/bash

/home/michelle looks fine:

drwx------ 28 michelle   michelle   1432 2006-05-01 13:42 michelle

and so does .Xauthority (except that it's empty):

-rw-------  1 michelle michelle       0 2006-05-01 13:42 .Xauthority

So from what you're saying, it would seem that gdm get's it wrong
somewhere along the way and doesn't write a proper .Xauthority? I guess
that's out of the scope for this list, but more suggestions are,
naturally, still welcome!

Best regards,

Sune