Improving Xorg

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Jun 28 16:42:53 PDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:28 pm, conon wrote:
> So you suggest that Xorg abandon the user who wishes to compile X11
> themselves ?

Compiling is trivial, I really don't understand the problem you're
having.  Do you really want to build all the unrelated packages Xorg
used to include in it's monolithic monstrosity?  Why would you ever want
to recompile libXt for example?  Aren't you more interested in the
server itself?

What exactly are you trying to do?  Are you a distributor who's trying to
package stuff up for users with less granularity than the upstream X.Org
provides?  Or just someone who wants to tinker around with recent X bits
every now and then?

I've heard a few people say they miss the "make World" approach but
haven't seen anyone say *why* they miss it...

Oh, I just noticed your email address, maybe you're just trolling. :)

Jesse