Improving Xorg

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 08:00:08 PDT 2006

Jesse Barnes wrote:
> What exactly are you trying to do?  Are you a distributor who's trying to
> package stuff up for users with less granularity than the upstream X.Org
> provides?  Or just someone who wants to tinker around with recent X bits
> every now and then?
>
> I've heard a few people say they miss the "make World" approach but
> haven't seen anyone say *why* they miss it...

make World will complete in the build tree using only X source from the
build tree.

build-from-tarballs.sh will not compile unless you install each part
built into the
runtime location on the build system. DESTDIR is not honored for include
files
for example. Further some of the modules depend on a built and installed
Mesa
to compile. And Mesa depends on X11 stuff. build-from-tarballs.sh has to
be split
into before Mesa and after Mesa builds.

This all means that it is hard to build modular without modifing
build-from-tarballs.sh
and having a build machine that you can sacrifice to the build process.

I'm bothering to do all this because I need to run 7.1 on FC4 that has
no kits for 7.1.

Barry