Xserver- i810 dual monitors

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Dec 19 01:07:15 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 14:47 +0900, Stauffer Victoria L Contractor 373
SPTS/ITD wrote:
> I have been trying for several days to get dual monitors to work with
> the dell GX620 desktop, running Red Hat GNU/Linux. I have two dell flat
> screen monitors 1907FPc, one connnected the the main board and the
> second to the DVI.
>
> Now I am trying like heck to get the DVI to work so I can do spanning
> desktops. I currently have the configuration where the display screen
> GUI recognizes that I have dual monitors but when I go to select
> Spanning Desktops it will NOT click OK. Both monitors are working but it
> shows only 1 main desktop (tends to defeat the purpose of having two
> monitors).
>
> I have been reviewing all of the different info out on the web. Making
> all types of changes to get this config right but I am still missing
> something.
>
> Any suggestions..., beside buying a second video card?

If you have a bit of patience, we'll be releasing the 'modesetting'
branch of the driver which can do this easily. Preliminary versions of
the driver show great promise, and you will be able to use a dual-DVI
ADD2 card and connect both monitors via DVI cables if you like.

If you are sufficiently motivated, you can build the pieces today and
give it a try, although it requires a new X server, new RandR extension
headers, library and xrandr program along with the modesetting branch of
the intel video driver.

keith.packard at intel.com