Xserver- i810 dual monitors

Stauffer Victoria L Contractor 373 SPTS/ITD victoria.stauffer at misawa.af.mil
Sun Dec 17 21:47:36 PST 2006

I have been trying for several days to get dual monitors to work with
the dell GX620 desktop, running Red Hat GNU/Linux. I have two dell flat
screen monitors 1907FPc, one connnected the the main board and the
second to the DVI.

Now I am trying like heck to get the DVI to work so I can do spanning
desktops. I currently have the configuration where the display screen
GUI recognizes that I have dual monitors but when I go to select
Spanning Desktops it will NOT click OK. Both monitors are working but it
shows only 1 main desktop (tends to defeat the purpose of having two
monitors).

I have been reviewing all of the different info out on the web. Making
all types of changes to get this config right but I am still missing
something.

Any suggestions..., beside buying a second video card?

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Victoria

Here are the pertinent parts of the xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Multihead layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
	Screen      1  "Screen1"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	Option         "Xinerama" "off"
	Option         "Clone" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier     "Monitor0"
	VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName      "Dell 1901FP (Analog)"
	DisplaySize    380      300
	HorizSync      30.0 - 80.0
	VertRefresh    56.0 - 76.0
	Option         "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier     "Screen0"
	Driver         "i810"
	VendorName     "Videocard vendor"
	BoradName      "Intel 845"
	Option         "DevicePresence" "true"
	BusID          "PCI:0.2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier     "Screen0"
	Device         "Videocard0"
	Monitor        "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth      16
		Modes     "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth      24
		Modes     "1024x786" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier     "Monitor1"
	VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"