[SCM TRANSITION] Re: Proposal: move Randr protocol and library to git

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Wed Apr 19 01:03:59 PDT 2006

Kevin E Martin writes:

[...]
 > The next question is: how -- all-at-once or piecemeal?  I took the lead
 > on the modularization effort, wrote a plan for how to make it happen
 > all-at-once, convinced enough people to help me execute that plan and
 > then worked really hard to make it all happen.  If someone steps forward
 > to take the lead for this SCM transition, then they will have the
 > opportunity do the same -- this is just how our developer community
 > works.  However, if no one steps forward to lead, then I expect that by
 > default the transition will happen piecemeal.

Thanks Kevin, you seem to have similar sentiments like I.
I strongly feel that the transition should be a planned process
so that we can be sure that all pieces are in place when we finally
migrate the bulk of the work.
As I said already I would like to volunteer to help out here.
I've got a fairly good knowledge of CVS and I'm interested to
learn my ways around a new SCM.

 > My hope is that there is enough interest in the transition that it can
 > be completed in time for the first 7.2 RC, but I have not done any of
 > the conversion work so far, so I don't have data to back up that hope.
 > Perhaps Keith can comment on whether or not it seems feasible.

Keith has already demonstrated that the largest piece of code that
has problably seen the most commits since the X.Org tarball came into
existance can successfully be 'GITified'.
I have no other data than that - but this seems to be rather encouraging.

Cheers,
	Egbert.