Getting to a GL based X server

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu May 26 13:56:50 PDT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 16:32, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Doing Xgl may also expose large issues to the higher layers. For
> example MS is buidling three levels of UI - classic, aero, aero glass.

Which, last I checked, corresponded roughly to: KAA, fixed function 3D engine,
3D with shader hotness.

Remind me why on earth I would want to use fb to do core X and Render to a
texture, then use a software GL engine to interpolate that across the screen.

> Xgl may consequential have big impacts on Gnome and KDE.  Even though
> everything is GL based, software GL performs very differently than a
> Radeon X800. Gnome and KDE can't even begin to work on this problem
> until the server is beta.

Or, those people could just use a sane 2D acceleration architecture.

Which XAA is not.

If you're really arguing that every server, even those running on chips where
we have no hardware 3D support, should be running on a GL engine, then I'll
just stop listening now, because you're delusional.

- ajax