Getting to a GL based X server

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:33:44 PDT 2005

On 5/26/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> If you're really arguing that every server, even those running on chips where
> we have no hardware 3D support, should be running on a GL engine, then I'll
> just stop listening now, because you're delusional.

No one is taking away your current server. You are free to continue using it.

I might point out that OpenGL-ES is a limited subset of OpenGL and it
has been designed for embedded use from day one. There are several
proprietary implementations including one that does not assume
hardware acceleration or use floating point and fits in 100K of
memory. I would hope that a GL-ES version of the Xgl server would work
on this stack.
http://www.khronos.org/opengles/

In the new model OpenGL/EGL is the device driver layer. This lets the
Xserver get completely out of the device driver business. It also
means that the Xserver doesn't need to run as root. Committing to the
this driver model allows us to concentrate our resources instead of
trying to build three or more competing models.

There will definitely be a transition period between the old and new
models. The first version of the Xegl server works on Linux
framebuffer making it very portable. And you're always free to
continue using the existing Xserver.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com