Getting to a GL based X server

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:32:18 PDT 2005

On 5/26/05, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
> The big remaining issue with relatively unknown engineering costs is
> memory management.  To my knowledge, we've not done any prototyping here
> yet.  It is hard to "commit" without some scoping of this issue.

Ian has previously done work on memory manager design:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg09472.html

Memory management is also very well understood from a computer science
viewpoint. MS and Apple have both solved this problem and our
engineers are better than theirs so I'm not worried. We probably have
at least five people who could write the manager if they could get
freed up to work on it.

Doing Xgl may also expose large issues to the higher layers. For
example MS is buidling three levels of UI - classic, aero, aero glass.
Xgl may consequential have big impacts on Gnome and KDE.  Even though
everything is GL based, software GL performs very differently than a
Radeon X800. Gnome and KDE can't even begin to work on this problem
until the server is beta.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com