XFree86 and Xorg and X

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jul 6 23:22:43 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:39:03PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I am using X.org 6.8.2 (installed via pkgsrc).
>
> startx runs X which is a symlink to XFree86.
>
> Where is this symlink created? Why not symlink to Xorg instead?
>
> Also, Xorg and XFree86 are both installed. Two different inodes for
> identical file.
>
> (For pkgsrc, the only difference is permissions, because pkgsrc does:
> ${CHMOD} a+r ${X11ROOT}/bin/Xorg.)
>
> I am currently trying to track this down. My last build logs are old, but
> it appears to build and install Xorg and XFree86 independently although
> the end-result is the same.
>
> Does latest X.org still build XFree86? If so, why? Why not use symlinks?
> Or get rid of XFree86?

No, it does not, and never has.  Your problem seems to be that you have
both Xorg and XFree86 installed, and this needs to be taken up with your
vendor rather than with upstream, because there's nothing we can do about
it.

For what it's worth, Debian has X linking not to Xorg or XFree86, but to
a very small custom suid-root wrapper.