XFree86 and Xorg and X

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Jul 6 22:39:03 PDT 2005

I am using X.org 6.8.2 (installed via pkgsrc).

startx runs X which is a symlink to XFree86.

Where is this symlink created? Why not symlink to Xorg instead?

Also, Xorg and XFree86 are both installed. Two different inodes for
identical file.

(For pkgsrc, the only difference is permissions, because pkgsrc does:
${CHMOD} a+r ${X11ROOT}/bin/Xorg.)

I am currently trying to track this down. My last build logs are old, but
it appears to build and install Xorg and XFree86 independently although
the end-result is the same.

Does latest X.org still build XFree86? If so, why? Why not use symlinks?
Or get rid of XFree86?

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/