XFree86 and Xorg and X

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jul 7 20:27:49 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Daniel Stone wrote:

>> Does latest X.org still build XFree86? If so, why? Why not use symlinks?
>> Or get rid of XFree86?
>
> No, it does not, and never has.  Your problem seems to be that you have
> both Xorg and XFree86 installed, and this needs to be taken up with your
> vendor rather than with upstream, because there's nothing we can do about
> it.

Thanks for the reply.

The pkgsrc set "#define XF86Server YES" which is supported by Xorg to also
build and install a separate XFree86 binary.

The rest is just my notes. But please see my questions at bottom.

I don't have XFree86 installed. And as I had mentioned,
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 and /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg (6.8.2) are identical
(according to md5 and diff).

It was confusing to me. I only have my build logs for 6.8.1, so I am
currently building 6.8.2 to see the difference.

My old 6.8.1 build logs have:

ranlib libdmx.a
make: Leaving directory
`/scratch/pkgsrc/x11/xorg-server/work.puget/xc/programs/
Xserver/hw/dmx'
+ mv -f XFree86 XFree86.bak
cc -pipe -o XFree86 -g -s -ansi -pedantic -Wall -Wpointer-arith
-Wstrict-prototypes           -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
           -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wundef
install -c  -m 4711 XFree86 /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
+ mv -f Xorg Xorg.bak
cc -pipe -o Xorg -g -s -ansi -pedantic -Wall -Wpointer-arith
-Wstrict-prototypes
                           -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
install -c   Xdmx /usr/X11R6/bin/Xdmx
(cd /usr/X11R6/bin; rm -f X; ln -s XFree86 X)
installing in programs/Xserver/include...

So I built Xorg 6.8.2 (using pkgsrc) again (and saved the logs).

I tracked it down.

I see xc/programs/Xserver/Imakefile has:

#if defined(XF86Server) && XF86Server
XF86SERVER = XFree86
#endif
#if defined(XF86Server) && XF86Server
XCOMM
XCOMM XFree86 Server
XCOMM
SetUIDServerTarget(XFree86,$(XF86SERVERSUBDIRS),$(XF86SERVEROBJS)
$(SERVERDEFFIL
E), \
         $(XF86SERVERLIBS),$(XF86SERVERSYSLIBS))
#if DoLoadableServer
ServerDriverSDKTarget(XFree86)
#endif
#ifndef ServerToInstall
#define ServerToInstall XFree86
#endif
#endif        /* XF86Server */

I am not sure why pkgsrc has XF86Server. This was probably accidental.

Is there any purpose for Xorg to offer this XF86Server definition anymore?

Should the definitions with "XFree86" and "XF86" be renamed as
appropriate? (I am curious, because we also have BuildXFree86ConfigTools
set to YES.)

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/