Intel GMA 900

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 09:15:05 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:49:15 -0500, Thom Nuzum <thom at tendata.com> wrote:

> I have tried the i810 selection in xorg.conf and cannot get this graphics
> device to function.
> It is on Toshiba M45..Mobile Intel 915GM Express Chipset. Is the GMA 900 not
> supported yet with this chipset?
> I am unable to attain native resolution of 1280x800. My greatest problem as
> I am forced to use vesa framebuffer graphics right now. Changing mode lines
> does not work and I get no screens found. I have also enabled the various
> Intel chipsets under apgart in the kernel. Running suse 9.2.
> Intel drivers won't install and complain about missing kernel modules. Not
> sure which route to go here.
> Should I continue trying to edit xorg.conf or work on the Intel driver
> problem or perhaps its something with the kernel.
> Thanks greatly for any hints.
>
> Thom Nuzum

You need to use xorg from cvs for that chip to work.  Support for the
mobile i915 was just recently added.  Also if your bios doesn't have a
mode for 1280x800 you may be out of luck since the driver uses the
bios for mode setting.  There are some hacks floating around to add
modes to the bios, but I don't know if they work on the i915 or not.

Alex