S3 Savage/IX Xv scaling _down_ not working

Kees Cook kees at outflux.net
Fri Dec 16 18:39:59 PST 2005

Hi!  I'm trying to track down problems with Xv on my poor little Savage
card.  I'm presently running xorg 6.8.2 (and I fear cvs, from the bug
reports, it sounds like Xv is _totally_ broken for Savage there...)

Anyway, the trouble seems to be that Xv just kind of doesn't down-scale.
For example, it has no problem taking a 320x240 and up-scaling to full
screen 640x480.  (I'm using the SVideo out, which makes it run at
640x480.)  To watch a 16:9 DVD, an Xv request is attempted to scale the
video to 640x360.  (Stored in MPEG2 as 480x480, with a 16:9 aspect, etc
etc -- virtual resolution should be 852x480.)  What I get instead, is
only the top left of the image.  Basically, it seems to do the aspect
adjustment, taking the image to 852x480, but then only displaying
on-screen in the 640x360 window (centered top/bottom).  So I get the
left 640 of 852, and the top 360 of 480.  :) Verrry goofy.

I *think* this is an Xv bug, since mplayer, xine, and ogle, all exhibit
the same behavior.  I have no idea how to move forward debugging this,
and I'd like to provide some useful details, but I'm not sure what to
do.  Especially since Savage support in xorg looks to be rather dead.  :)

What should I try?

--
Kees Cook                                            @outflux.net