S3 Savage/IX Xv scaling _down_ not working

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 07:12:28 PST 2005

On 12/16/05, Kees Cook <kees at outflux.net> wrote:
> Hi!  I'm trying to track down problems with Xv on my poor little Savage
> card.  I'm presently running xorg 6.8.2 (and I fear cvs, from the bug
> reports, it sounds like Xv is _totally_ broken for Savage there...)

Savage Xv works with Xorg from cvs.  What bug reports are you talking
about?  Xv support in savage 2000 has never worked properly.

> Anyway, the trouble seems to be that Xv just kind of doesn't down-scale.
> For example, it has no problem taking a 320x240 and up-scaling to full
> screen 640x480.  (I'm using the SVideo out, which makes it run at
> 640x480.)  To watch a 16:9 DVD, an Xv request is attempted to scale the
> video to 640x360.  (Stored in MPEG2 as 480x480, with a 16:9 aspect, etc
> etc -- virtual resolution should be 852x480.)  What I get instead, is
> only the top left of the image.  Basically, it seems to do the aspect
> adjustment, taking the image to 852x480, but then only displaying
> on-screen in the 640x360 window (centered top/bottom).  So I get the
> left 640 of 852, and the top 360 of 480.  :) Verrry goofy.

The savage overlay either doesn't support down scaling or it's only 2
or 3 fixed ratios, I don't remember exactly which.  I'll have to
double check the source.

> I *think* this is an Xv bug, since mplayer, xine, and ogle, all exhibit
> the same behavior.  I have no idea how to move forward debugging this,
> and I'd like to provide some useful details, but I'm not sure what to
> do.  Especially since Savage support in xorg looks to be rather dead.  :)

I still work on it as I have time, however the savage overlay is
probably the worst overlay ever deisgned.  it's a work of pure evil.

> What should I try?

I think you are generally out of luck since it's a hardware limitation.

Alex