Locales for Indic languages

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Oct 16 13:02:39 PDT 2004

On Sad, 2004-10-16 at 02:36, Felix Schulte wrote:
> > I think this is irrelevant for the purposes of this bug report. All the
> > Xlib and CTL apparatus isn't needed for Indic support when using
> > Pango/Qt/etc.
> This is very relevant for every application which does not use Pango
> or Qt. Either add full support for these locales or leave it.
> Providing crippled support is not the right way.

No application that uses a standard Xorg supports these languages
correctly, period, end of story. You need a whole new set of libraries
regardless of whether there is locale data. Xorg should be including the
locales since that bit is needed as an enabler for the other libaries
and it seems daft to have Sun, Red Hat, Novell and every other vendor
add them to the tree each release.

Alan