Locales for Indic languages

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Oct 16 12:25:37 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 20:06 +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
> [snip]
> > Maybe what you are missing here is that Indic languages *cannot be
> > handled* with current Xlib APIs.
>
> AFAIK you are wrong... Solaris supports that without problems (I can
> post screenshots if you don't belive it :) ...

It's not a question of belief. If you take an Indic text string,
split into two pieces at an arbitrary location, and draw each
piece separately, you get the wrong result.

So, it's possible, with a  "XmbDrawString()" to get simple display
of strings working, but editing and selection will not work properly.
Period.

Yes, Sun did get Indic scripts working within the
Motif/Xt/Core X fonts world, but this involved a new set of APIs.
(http://www.opengroup.org/desktop/ctl/)

Regards,
						Owen