Resize problems with savage and DRI.

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 06:48:52 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:36:50 +0200, Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:19:04 -0400
> Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:52:26 +0100, Dan Gray <dan at dangray.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >   I'm using the savage CVS code and am having problems with resizing the
> > > screen.
> > >
> > >   Both the standard Crtl-Alt-+ and SDL apps fail to rescale the display
> > > properly, with the C-A-+ option leaving corruption at the top and bottom
> > > of the screen (clears with I switch back to default 1024x768) and SDL
> > > (try Neverball or Tuxracer for an example) fails to resize the screen to
> > > lower resolutions, resulting in a strange, corrupt
> > > half-display-sort-of-thing.
> > >

> > Can you or Felix try again with cvs?  Unfortunately I don't have an
> > integrated savage to test on and savage4s don't seem to have the
> > problem.
>
> It's still there with latest CVS. I'll try to describe what it looks
> like (also see my ASCII drawing below): vertical scaling looks allmost
> ok. Only at the top and bottom of the screen there is some garbage (g)
> because the scaled image doesn't fill the whole LCD display. It looks
> like the top/bottom most pixel line replicated till the edge of the LCD
> display. This area used to be black. Horizontal scaling is not taking
> place. Instead on the left side of the screen the image is stretched
> vertically ((i) and (I)). In remaining space I see a replication of the
> middle stripe of the visible image ((I) replacated as (X)).
>
> gggggggggggggggggggggggg
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> iiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiXXXXXXXX
> gggggggggggggggggggggggg

Ah, ok, that helps.  I think I know where the problem is. FWIW, does
disabling the call to streamsOn() in savagemodeinit() fix the bug?
this will break Xv, but I think I know where the bug is.  the streams
code tweaks the saling regs for playback with scaling enabled and if
you have the streams on all the time, things never get reset to the
proper values.  I think we may want to revert to only enabling streams
during playback, or resetting it on a mode switch.

> > >   Also, Xv seems to be glitching, generating vertical lines up and down
> > > the screen on high resolution video.
> >
> > Xv should work now on savages with the "old" streams engine.  the
> > problem was the FIFO was being setup wrong for vertical interpolation.
> >  Vertical interpolation is also very bandwidth intensive and one of my
> > savages4s isn't up to it, so I've disabled it by default for all "old"
> > chips.  It's now available as an XV attribute
> > (XV_VERTICAL_INTERPOLATION) you can turn it off and on on the fly.
> > After some testing I may enable it by default on some chipsets.
>
> How can I set Xv attributes? xvinfo can only display it and I couldn't
> find a way to make mplayer set custom attributes.

you can use apps like xvattr to change Xv attributes. perhaps xvattr
or something similar could be included with xorg. I guess it's GPL
though.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/xvattr/
There are also packages of it for most distros.

Alex