Resize problems with savage and DRI.

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Oct 11 08:45:49 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:48:52 -0400
Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Ah, ok, that helps.  I think I know where the problem is. FWIW, does
> disabling the call to streamsOn() in savagemodeinit() fix the bug?
> this will break Xv, but I think I know where the bug is.  the streams
> code tweaks the saling regs for playback with scaling enabled and if
> you have the streams on all the time, things never get reset to the
> proper values.  I think we may want to revert to only enabling streams
> during playback, or resetting it on a mode switch.

Yes, removing the StreamsOn calls fixed it. BTW, your last XV commit had
a positive effect on the glxgears frame rate on ProSavageDDR so I
thought streams were disabled by default now. But on Savage4 the frame
rate didn't change. Weird.

There is another problem with Xv that may be related. After mode
switches mplayer only shows the color key. Restarting/reinitializing X
is the only way to get Xv back.

> > > Xv should work now on savages with the "old" streams engine.  the
> > > problem was the FIFO was being setup wrong for vertical interpolation.
> > >  Vertical interpolation is also very bandwidth intensive and one of my
> > > savages4s isn't up to it, so I've disabled it by default for all "old"
> > > chips.  It's now available as an XV attribute
> > > (XV_VERTICAL_INTERPOLATION) you can turn it off and on on the fly.
> > > After some testing I may enable it by default on some chipsets.
> >
> > How can I set Xv attributes? xvinfo can only display it and I couldn't
> > find a way to make mplayer set custom attributes.
> >

> you can use apps like xvattr to change Xv attributes. perhaps xvattr
> or something similar could be included with xorg. I guess it's GPL
> though.
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/xvattr/
> There are also packages of it for most distros.

Thanks for the pointer. Tried it on Savage 4 and ProSavageDDR. Both have
problems with upscaling with vertical interpolation. On the bigger
screen on the Savage4 artifacts are generally more noticable. They also
seem to depend on the original movie size. Some movies look fine in
their original resolution, others are messed up but look ok as soon as I
make the window only one pixel smaller.

On the ProSavageDDR I got a hard lockup when I tried to play a real big
movie (858x774) and Option "BCIforXv" "on". It displayed garbage first
and after a while it only showed the color key and was frozen. Once I
could log in remotely early enough to try to kill mplayer. kill -5
didn't have any effect, kill -9 made it lock up hard again.

| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |