I2C driver directory

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Oct 4 00:47:55 PDT 2004

Vladimir Dergachev writes:

 >   GATOS TV-in code has many drivers for I2C bus. These are pretty much
 > independent from ATI hardware, so it would be nice to put them separately.
 >
 >   Would anyone object to creating the following directory
 >
 >   /xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/i2c
 >
 >   and putting all the GATOS i2c drivers there ?

Vladimir,

it is a good idea to keep these i2c drivers separately as they may
be useful for different drivers. Currently we have the situation that
many drivers reimplement the same code. The same problem existed
in the past with DAC code.
I would suggest to keep each i2c driver in a separate directory.
Therefore the path you suggest would get very deep.
We already have a directory xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/i2c
with some i2c support code (which any of these drivers should use).
I suggest to either create a subdirectories for the individual drivers
below this directory or better yet create a directory
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/i2cdrivers.
The directory structure is however subject to change anyway. It would
be preferrable to keep the drivers separate in a way that they can
be built without the entire tree.

Egbert.