I2C driver directory

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 4 07:10:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Vladimir Dergachev writes:
> >
> >   GATOS TV-in code has many drivers for I2C bus. These are pretty much
> > independent from ATI hardware, so it would be nice to put them separately.
> >
> >   Would anyone object to creating the following directory
> >
> >   /xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/i2c
> >
> >   and putting all the GATOS i2c drivers there ?
> >

> Vladimir,
>
> it is a good idea to keep these i2c drivers separately as they may
> be useful for different drivers. Currently we have the situation that
> many drivers reimplement the same code. The same problem existed
> in the past with DAC code.
> I would suggest to keep each i2c driver in a separate directory.
> Therefore the path you suggest would get very deep.

I do keep each driver separate - each creates its own module.
Each driver is comprised of three files: core C file, header file
and a module declaration file. For example: bt829.c bt829.h bt829_module.c

> We already have a directory xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/i2c
> with some i2c support code (which any of these drivers should use).
> I suggest to either create a subdirectories for the individual drivers
> below this directory or better yet create a directory
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/i2cdrivers.

Unfortunately I already checked them in under the initially proposed path.
My thought was that i2c drivers are not unlike radeon/rage128/mach64
drivers that are loaded by ati module.

> The directory structure is however subject to change anyway. It would
> be preferrable to keep the drivers separate in a way that they can
> be built without the entire tree.

I don't see how they can be built without referencing Xserver i2c library
header.

                       best

                         Vladimir Dergachev