XKB error message with Xorg-6.8.1

Fri Nov 19 14:36:54 PST 2004

Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
>>That error message usally really means "libxklavier got confused, but
>>likes to blame X for no good reason."   Rarely does it actually indicate
>>a problem anywhere outside libxklavier.
>
> Thanks Alan for a good reference:) - but it seems to be wrong. In my
> bug-fixing experience this in most cases (well, on linux/xorg
> platform) means broken xorg.conf/XF86Config or some particular broken
> layouts (hu,ca,...). Though I did not do much bugfixing on commercial
> platforms - so your mileage may vary.

Perhaps my experience then is limited to seeing the dozens of bug reports
to the X.org bugzilla, X.org mailing lists, and various other lists/sites
from users upgrading to Xorg when they had an old libxklavier that still
wanted the rules named xfree86 not xorg, on platforms such as Fedora, and
to the hundreds I've had to deal with from Solaris 10 beta users because
libxklavier is incompatible with the libxkbfile shipped in X11R6.6 and
earlier releases and requires the modifications made to the XFree86
version of libxkbfile.

I've just never seen a case when that error message has actually been
caused by an X server problem.   Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky that way.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com