XKB error message with Xorg-6.8.1

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 14:54:01 PST 2004

> Perhaps my experience then is limited to seeing the dozens of bug reports
> to the X.org bugzilla, X.org mailing lists, and various other lists/sites
> from users upgrading to Xorg when they had an old libxklavier that still
> wanted the rules named xfree86 not xorg, on platforms such as Fedora, and
Yeah, that was a case in many many situations (so now it is in all
FAQs related to FC2). But if the config file refers to non-existing
rules file - it is not the library fault, is it? The library just
exposed the problem. Well, I admit it is not regarding the server
itself, it is about its configuration - but from the libxklavier POV,
there is not much difference - the result is inability of the server
to build the configuration properly.

> to the hundreds I've had to deal with from Solaris 10 beta users because
> libxklavier is incompatible with the libxkbfile shipped in X11R6.6 and
> earlier releases and requires the modifications made to the XFree86
> version of libxkbfile.
Well, unfortunately I did not see these reports. The only similar
reports were related to the missing root window property (used in the
reference X11R6 implementation AFAIK). If you have other cases of
incompatibility - I would really be interested in fixing the library,
so could you please file the bugs in the GNOME bugzilla.

> I've just never seen a case when that error message has actually been
> caused by an X server problem.   Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky that way.
Well, initially this message was created because many combinations of
the layouts really did not work on XFree 4.3 (xkbcomp contained a flaw
fixed soon after 4.3 release). That WAS the real case - and there were
reports regarding it. Probably the wording is not entirely correct for
all the cases - but we still support xfree 4.3 - so it is not entirely
obsolete either. I am trying to make libxklavier smarter regarding the
different type of errors - but it will take some time. And, on the
other hand, we should be careful not to expose too much technical
details to the user. So far, all the relevant bugs in GNOME bugzilla
were mostly processed using the xprop and gconf information.

Sergey