[Xorg] debrix

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Sun Jun 27 13:18:43 PDT 2004

Daniel Stone wrote:
 > On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:27:01PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
 >>
 >>You really should start using CVS. :D
 >
 > I had it all done at home, and tarballs uploaded (uploading 5MB sucks
 > over a modem), so I scp'ed a diff, and imported to CVS from there (which
 > was painful, because it came from X.Org, and had to be updated from
 > XORG-RELEASE-1 and XDAMAGE-FIXES along the way, as well as some stuff
 > from xserver).
 >
 > So, I had no CVS checkout. I swore I had one around somewhere, but no,
 > couldn't find one. I'll grab it tonight.

Modem? I thought everybody living outside of Poland have a DSL these
days. :)

 >>It was that simple! :D Of course the symbol problems disapear when i
 >>don't try to use radeon directly. ;-)
 >>Could we somehow ban this and print a BIG warning when sb. tries to load
 >>sth strange as a display driver?
 >
 > I've been thinking about it, yes.

Cool. :) Same problem with 'fb' (it can be mistaken for fbdev).

 >>Problems:
 >>1. gnome-terminal draws all text in the upper left-hand corner of the
 >>   screen (xterm works fine). There are also some minor glitches in
 >>   xfwm4 window decorations. xfdesktop4 doesn't draw the background.
 >>   Maybe the reason is that all programs are built with X.org libs, not
 >>   xlibs from fdo.
 >
 > Interesting - maybe conflicting Xrender versions. Does rebuilding help?
 > Sorry to be a pain in the butt ...

You are a pain? I thought I am the one who is. :D
I'll setup a chroot and build/run it there.

 >>2. The server fails to restore the text mode (i get a blank screen
 >>   instead).
 >
 > Weird. That shouldn't happen - works for me on a Radeon 9000.

Radeon 9200. We can try to debug it later when I get a clear build.

 >>>Ta, I'll commit this along with the fbdev and nv stuff. Thanks for your
 >>>work - much appreciated.
 >>
 >>N/p. What are the changes in fbdev? Will it work now?
 >>I would like to test it because maybe it would work better than the
 >>current ati driver. :-)
 >
 > The changes are mainly to the debrix core - the debrix module doesn't
 > build any libs anymore, only the one binary. Both fbdev and nv had deps
 > on variables inside Xorg (XAA/fbdevHW), so those needed to be folded
 > back into the main binary.

Yup. That's what I have been thinking of. :) I managed to figure out
that building of fbdevhw is currently turned off.

Btw. My last e-mail ought to go to the list (and the previous one as
well). Are you sure Reply-to should be considered harmful? :D

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa