[Xorg] [Patch] debrix

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Jun 27 09:46:23 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:27:01PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 05:18:53PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C??apa wrote:
> >>I've tried building and running debrix as Daniel suggested but
> >>encountered some problems:
> >>
> >>1. debrix-driver-radeon has missing symbols (both radeon and r128)
> >>  I've attached a patch to fix this.
> >
> >Cool, this was probably what was needed. Previously, you needed to use
> >Driver "ati" - does this fix it?
> >
> >... ah, I already had this uncommitted locally. Really need to get a CVS
> >tree into my system, so I can commit stuff.
>
> You really should start using CVS. :D

I had it all done at home, and tarballs uploaded (uploading 5MB sucks
over a modem), so I scp'ed a diff, and imported to CVS from there (which
was painful, because it came from X.Org, and had to be updated from
XORG-RELEASE-1 and XDAMAGE-FIXES along the way, as well as some stuff
from xserver).

So, I had no CVS checkout. I swore I had one around somewhere, but no,
couldn't find one. I'll grab it tonight.

> >>2. Now it builds and loads but fails to find any drivers. (adding
> >>  atimisc.la to LIBS doesn't help) It also fails to recognize my
> >>  chipset on the second BusID. Log file attached.
> >

> >Looks like it's finding the drivers alright. Does Driver "ati" help?
> >Does it help if you take Load "dri" out?
>
> It was that simple! :D Of course the symbol problems disapear when i
> don't try to use radeon directly. ;-)
> Could we somehow ban this and print a BIG warning when sb. tries to load
> sth strange as a display driver?

I've been thinking about it, yes.

> Problems:
> 1. gnome-terminal draws all text in the upper left-hand corner of the
>    screen (xterm works fine). There are also some minor glitches in
>    xfwm4 window decorations. xfdesktop4 doesn't draw the background.
>    Maybe the reason is that all programs are built with X.org libs, not
>    xlibs from fdo.

Interesting - maybe conflicting Xrender versions. Does rebuilding help?
Sorry to be a pain in the butt ...

> 2. The server fails to restore the text mode (i get a blank screen
>    instead).

Weird. That shouldn't happen - works for me on a Radeon 9000.

> >>3. autotoolization of debrix-driver-dummy has not been finished and
> >>  some includes lack proper dirs. Patch attached.
> >
> >Ta, I'll commit this along with the fbdev and nv stuff. Thanks for your
> >work - much appreciated.
>
> N/p. What are the changes in fbdev? Will it work now?
> I would like to test it because maybe it would work better than the
> current ati driver. :-)

The changes are mainly to the debrix core - the debrix module doesn't
build any libs anymore, only the one binary. Both fbdev and nv had deps
on variables inside Xorg (XAA/fbdevHW), so those needed to be folded
back into the main binary.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>