[Xorg] debrix

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Jun 27 13:23:36 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:18:43PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C??apa wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:27:01PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
> >>You really should start using CVS. :D
> >
> > I had it all done at home, and tarballs uploaded (uploading 5MB sucks
> > over a modem), so I scp'ed a diff, and imported to CVS from there (which
> > was painful, because it came from X.Org, and had to be updated from
> > XORG-RELEASE-1 and XDAMAGE-FIXES along the way, as well as some stuff
> > from xserver).
> >
> > So, I had no CVS checkout. I swore I had one around somewhere, but no,
> > couldn't find one. I'll grab it tonight.
>
> Modem? I thought everybody living outside of Poland have a DSL these
> days. :)

I live 3.8km from the exchange as the crow flies - more by the route the
wires actually take - and my street isn't cabled, because the cables are
all underground, and so there's really no reason to expend so much money
to connect 11 houses, when most of them probably don't want cable
anyway.

Trust me, I'd have broadband if I could. But this is Australia. :)

> >>It was that simple! :D Of course the symbol problems disapear when i
> >>don't try to use radeon directly. ;-)
> >>Could we somehow ban this and print a BIG warning when sb. tries to load
> >>sth strange as a display driver?
> >
> > I've been thinking about it, yes.
>
> Cool. :) Same problem with 'fb' (it can be mistaken for fbdev).

Thanks for the catch. Maybe it's worth renaming r128/atimisc/radeon to
ati-r128/ati-atimisc/ati-radeon or such, and then symlinking the old
names for compatibility?

> >>Problems:
> >>1. gnome-terminal draws all text in the upper left-hand corner of the
> >>   screen (xterm works fine). There are also some minor glitches in
> >>   xfwm4 window decorations. xfdesktop4 doesn't draw the background.
> >>   Maybe the reason is that all programs are built with X.org libs, not
> >>   xlibs from fdo.
> >
> > Interesting - maybe conflicting Xrender versions. Does rebuilding help?
> > Sorry to be a pain in the butt ...
>
> You are a pain? I thought I am the one who is. :D
> I'll setup a chroot and build/run it there.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

> >>2. The server fails to restore the text mode (i get a blank screen
> >>   instead).
> >
> > Weird. That shouldn't happen - works for me on a Radeon 9000.
>
> Radeon 9200. We can try to debug it later when I get a clear build.

OK.

> > The changes are mainly to the debrix core - the debrix module doesn't
> > build any libs anymore, only the one binary. Both fbdev and nv had deps
> > on variables inside Xorg (XAA/fbdevHW), so those needed to be folded
> > back into the main binary.
>
> Yup. That's what I have been thinking of. :) I managed to figure out
> that building of fbdevhw is currently turned off.

It's not turned off, it's just currently built as a module
(libfbdevhw.la: lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfbdevhw.la, vs noinst_LIBRARIES =
 libfbdevhw.a, and linked into the final binary).

> Btw. My last e-mail ought to go to the list (and the previous one as
> well). Are you sure Reply-to should be considered harmful? :D

Pretty sure, yep. I use group reply by default.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org