[Xorg] Composite pixmap naming

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jun 26 22:17:40 PDT 2004

I've added a request to 'name' the backing pixmap (provide a client XID for
the pixmap underlying a redirected window) -- useful when the window gets
unmapped as you can still see the contents.  However, by accident, I forgot
to have the XID move to the new pixmap when windows are resized.

At first blush, this seemed like a horrible bug.  However, on second
thought it might actually be a feature -- you can continue to paint the
screen from the old window contents until the new contents are all ready,
then delete the old pixmap and paint from the new one.

If the wm and apps would cooperate somehow, I think we could get smooth
resize without any more X server changes.

-keith